Florida officials have informed the families of victims still unaccounted for beneath the Surfside building collapse rubble that they have given up hope of finding survivors, and will be transitioning to a recovery mission.
Florida officials have informed the families of victims still unaccounted for beneath the Surfside building collapse rubble that they have given up hope of finding survivors.
Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told families on Wednesday that after searching all areas of debris, they have concluded that it will now be next to impossible to find people alive.
Officials said that rescue teams will transition from a rescue mission to a recovery mission at 7 PM this evening.
The transition comes after all teams involved in rescue efforts – including Miami-Dade Fire & Rescue, FEMA teams, and the Israeli team – agreed that there is no chance of anyone having survived the pancake collapse of the Champlain Towers.
Rescuers had hoped to find pockets where people could have survived in the new areas. Instead, they found more than a dozen victims, many of them dead in their beds.
94 people remain unaccounted for beneath the rubble. 46 victims have been recovered so far.