Which day of Rosh Chodesh Elul do we begin blowing Shofar? And why is the month of Elul called a Rasha? Listen to two fascinating shiurim from Rabbi Levi Garelik on the essence of the month of Elul.
Elul: when do we start blowing the Shofar?
The first day or the second day of Rosh Chodesh elul?
- Why did the Previous Rebbe say that on the first day of Rosh Chodesh Elul we should “practice” blowing the shofar?
- Why do we wait to “practice” with the blowing of the shofar till Rosh Chodesh Elul? Why can’t we do it before?
- Why do we start blowing only on the second day of Rosh Chodesh and not on the first?
- Seemingly, if someone knows how to blow he also needs to “practice”. why?
- Why at the end of Yom Kipur do we blow only one Tekia and not 100 like Rosh Hashanah?
- What is the famous Moshol (parable) of the Baal Shem Tov regarding Tekias Shofar?
- Who wrote the “Hemshech Vekocho”?
- What is a bigger Mitzva; to eat Kugel or to hear Tkiyas shofar?
Based on Likutei Sichos Vol. 34 pages 95-97 and hisvaaduyos 5742 pages 1009-10 and others.
Elul: Why is Elul called a Rasha (Wicked)?
- Who is buried next to the “Megale Amukois”?
- What are the Roshei Teivos [acronym] of Elul?
- Who was Miriam Bas Bilga?
- What was the purpose of the rings in the Bais Hamikdosh?
- Who was Korach’s neighbor?
- What is the source for “Oi Lorosho Veoi Lishcheno” [woe is to the wicked and woe is to his neighbor]?
- What dos “Oi” mean? Is it a word or just a sound?
- What does Tkias [the sounding of the] Shofar symbolize?
- The Gemoro says that when the month of Av commences we diminish in joy. Why is this only till the 9th and not the whole month?
- Why did Hashem create Reshoim (evil people)?
- What is the wonderful lesson that we learn from this?
Based on Likutei Sichos Vol. 19 pages 65-66 and vol. 33 pages 10 and others.