Is Mivtza Lulav possible during a worldwide pandemic? Chabad Rabbonim are saying yes, and published guidelines on how it can be done while keeping to both Halacha and rigorous health standards.
By Anash.org writer
Is Mivtza Lulav possible during a worldwide pandemic? Chabad Rabbonim are saying yes, and published guidelines how it can be done while keeping to both Halacha and rigorous health standards.
The following are some halachic guidelines pertaining to Sukkos as per Harav Yosef Shusterman and Harav Shimon Raichik:
Mivtza Arba Minim/Sukkah Mobile:
A person cannot fulfill the mitzvah of Arba Minim while wearing gloves, therefore the most practical way to do mivtzoyim would be:
• The Shliach should wear gloves & a mask.
• If possible keep the Lulav & Esrog on a table.
• Have hand sanitizer and masks readily available.
• People must wear a mask (you will possibly need to be closer than 6 ft.) and use hand sanitizer before picking up the Lualav & Esrog. (Make sure they dry them as well so they don’t get alcohol on the esrog.)
• They should again sanitize their hands after using the Lulav & Esrog as an extra precaution.
• Food & drink being given out in the sukkah mobile should all be individually wrapped.
Shul Kiddush in the Sukkah/Community Meals/Sukkos Guests:
Each Shliach must:
• Assess their own unique circumstances to ascertain if and how they are able to have any type of food in the sukkah with proper social distancing.
• Consult with a competent medical/health adviser to determine which of the above activities can be done safely, as well as guidelines to follow including appropriate methods of serving food, and proceed accordingly.
• If you choose to leave some openings in your Sukkah walls to allow for more ventilation, the opening should preferably be on top not on the bottom. As long as the wall is 10 Tefachim high, it can be open all the way up to the Schach. The bottom of the wall must be within 3 Tefachim (9 inches) of the ground.
To keep in mind:
• People who are hesitant to join activities in the Sukkah should NOT be pressured to do so.
• To fulfill the mitzvah of Kiddush, people will need to not only hear Kiddush but also eat a kazayis of Hamotzi on both the first nights of Yom Tov.
Halachos of Sukkos during Coronavirus
Harav Gedalya Oberlander – Hebrew
To download click hereהלכות-חג-הסוכות-בעת-בהלת-הקרונה-1-1