New York Funds to Assist with Mortgage, Utility Bills

New programs are now available for New Yorkers in need of financial assistance. Those who qualify can receive up to $50,000 for missed mortgage payments and up to $10,000 for utility bills.

NYS Homeowner Assistance Fund

NYS Homeowner Assistance Fund can help you if you owe:

  • Mortgage Payments
  • Property Taxes
  • Water Bills
  • Coop or Condo Fees or Maintenance

The State will pay up to $50,000 to prevent you from being foreclosed.

  • The amount owed must be for the property that is your Primary Residence – there may also be rental units in the property.
  • If you live in Brooklyn, your total family income must be below:
  • You must be able to state that you have been financially affected by COVID – but delinquency may be from earlier, even if you are now in foreclosure.
  • If you owe more than $50,000, you must find additional resources to completely satisfy the debt.

First come, first served. Applications to be accepted starting January 3, 2022.

You should have all necessary documents and information ready to enter immediately when the application window opens.

Regular Arrears Supplement Benefit Now Available

If you owe back bills for Gas or Electric, New York State wants to help!

If you are eligible, the Regular Arrears Supplement HEAP benefit can help you pay for gas and/or electricity utility arrears.

The Regular Arrears Supplement is a one-time benefit based on the actual amount of current utility arrears, up to a maximum of $10,000 per applicant household. Benefits are paid directly to the household’s gas and/or electric utility vendor(s).

You may be eligible for a Regular Arrears Supplement HEAP benefit if:

  • You heat your home with natural gas or electricity, and/or
  • Your heating costs are included in your rent, but you are responsible for paying for your home’s electricity,


  • Your income is at or below the current income guidelines as posted in the table below or you receive Family Assistance, Safety Net Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) or Code A Supplemental Security Income,
  • You received, or meet all of the eligibility criteria to receive, a Regular HEAP benefit in the current program year,
  • You pay a vendor directly for your gas and/or electricity usage, and
  • Your current gas and/or electricity account(s) is/are in active collections, or otherwise facing disconnection or termination due to unpaid arrears.

Information and assistance available at: Crown Heights Jewish Community Council – 392 Kingston Avenue – (718) 771-9000

In keeping in line with the Rabbonim's policies for websites, we do not allow comments. However, our Rabbonim have approved of including input on articles of substance (Torah, history, memories etc.)

We appreciate your feedback. If you have any additional information to contribute to this article, it will be added below.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

advertise package