Firefighters rushed to Lefferts Shul at 672 Lefferts Ave. after a fire broke out in the shul’s mikvah in the lower level. The fire also damaged the shul on the higher level.
By Anash.org reporter
Firefighters rushed to Lefferts Shul at 672 Lefferts Ave. after a fire broke out in the shul’s mikvah in the lower level.
The fire was reported approximately 1:00 PM, with a video taken by a neighbor showing plumes of smoke coming out of the basement of the Bais Eliyahu Nochum shul, where one of the community’s most-heavily used men’s mikvaos is located. According to firefighters, the fire began in the mikva’s pump room.
The fire did spread in a limited fashion to the upstairs shul, and some damage was caused there as well. The Sifrei Torah were rescued with no damage.
According to an Anash.org reporter on-sight, the fire was extinguished by 1:50 PM, and no injuries are reported.
There is no word yet on damages to the mikvah, or if it will be functional in the near future.
Anash.org will continue to report as updates are released.