After the incredible success of last year’s campaign, Crown Heights Chaverim will once again be giving out “Look Before You Lock” cards to remind people not to leave their kids in the car.
Throughout the United States, there’s an average of 39 deaths a year from children left in cars. This summer as a community service, Crown Heights Chaverim will once again be providing unique cards that easily hang from your rearview mirror to serve as a constant reminder not to leave kids in the car.
The cards, to be hung around your rear-view mirror, will be available at the following Crown Heights locations:
Empire Kosher Supermarket
Crown Heights Urgent Care – Lefferts & Kingston
Kahan’s Superette – Union & Kingston.
For those who can’t pick up cards at the above locations, click this link to have one delivered to you.
Chaverim is posting the following tips that can be helpful to prevent these tragedies.
1. Always “LOOK BEFORE YOU LOCK.” Get in the habit of checking the backseat every time you get out of the car.
2. The Waze app has a feature which reminds you to check for children after arriving at a destination. Enabling this feature only takes a minute and may save your child’s life.
3. Be extra alert if there are any changes to your routine. That’s when the risk of unintentionally leaving your child in your car increases.
4. Leave an item you’ll need at your next destination in the backseat, such as your cell phone, purse, or laptop.
5. Discuss the topic of hot-car deaths with every person who drives your child anywhere. This should include partners, grandparents, babysitters, friends and even bus drivers.
Crown Heights Chaverim can be reached 24/6 at 718-222-1800