DEDICATED IN MEMORY OF

Eliyohu ben Moshe Mordechai a”h

By his family

Citywide Travel Ban Declared as NYC Braces for Historic Blizzard

New York City is under a full travel ban Sunday night through Monday noon as Mayor Mamdani declared a local state of emergency, after a blizzard forecast that began the week at three to four inches climbed to a potential 28.

 

By Anash.org reporter

New York City is under a full travel ban Sunday night through Monday noon as Mayor Zohran Kwame Mamdani declared a local state of emergency, after a blizzard forecast that began the week at three to four inches climbed to a potential 28.

All streets, highways, and bridges across the five boroughs are closed to non-essential traffic from 9:00 p.m. Sunday through noon Monday. The ban covers cars, trucks, scooters, and e-bikes, with exemptions limited strictly to first responders, utility workers, and other essential services. A violation of the order constitutes a Class B misdemeanor, though the Mayor stressed the focus is on compliance rather than enforcement. “If you do not have an emergency to leave your home, the bottom line is to stay home and stay safe,” he said.

The storm, now forecast to bring 18 to 24 inches citywide with isolated totals of up to 28 inches, has been described by the Mayor as potentially among the ten worst snowfall events in the city’s recorded history. Peak conditions — with snowfall rates of two to four inches per hour and wind gusts approaching 60 mph — are expected between 9:00 p.m. Sunday and 9:00 a.m. Monday, with blizzard conditions producing near-zero visibility across Brooklyn.

“New York City has not faced a storm of this scale in the last decade,” the Mayor said at a Sunday afternoon briefing. “On Friday, the weather indication said three to four inches. Then six to eight. Then 13 to 17. Then 18 to 21. Now 18 to 24, with certain parts of our city expecting up to 28 inches of snow.”

The NYPD announced that Highway Patrol units will escort DSNY trucks throughout the storm to assist with salting and plowing operations. A tow truck task force has been activated and pre-staged across the city, and additional high-water rescue teams are operating in response to coastal flooding risks, with moderate flooding of up to 2.5 feet expected during high tide.

All New York City public schools will be closed Monday — the city’s first traditional snow day since 2019 — after the State Education Commissioner granted a waiver meaning the day will not need to be made up. The Staten Island and New York City Ferries suspended service at 5:00 p.m. Sunday. NJ Transit rail, bus, and Access Link service was suspended beginning at 6:00 p.m. Sunday. Alternate Side Parking is suspended Monday. Above-ground subway lines are expected to face significant delays or suspensions, and the MTA has urged passengers to avoid non-essential travel.

The Department of Sanitation has 2,600 workers operating in 12-hour shifts, with a further 2,600 reporting for an overnight shift. Over 700 salt spreaders and more than 2,200 plow vehicles are deployed citywide, with plowing to begin once accumulations reach two inches. More than 1,000 emergency snow shovelers — more than double the number deployed during last month’s Winter Storm Fern — began an initial shift Sunday evening, with a further deployment planned through Monday morning.

Acting DSNY Commissioner Javier Lojan noted that the conditions following this storm are expected to be more favorable for salt effectiveness than the January event, and that additional outside equipment, mechanics, and specialized crosswalk-clearing machinery had been brought in days earlier than in prior storms. “Conditions tonight may be very dangerous,” he said. “Stay inside, stay safe, and if you’re a property owner, get those shovels ready.”

Governor Kathy Hochul, who declared a statewide emergency earlier in the week, urged all New Yorkers to remain indoors through the duration of the storm. “Snow has begun falling across much of the state and we are anticipating the longest cold stretch and the highest snow totals that we’ve had in several years,” she said. “New Yorkers should avoid any unnecessary travel, allowing first responders and plow crews to do their jobs.”

NYC Emergency Management Commissioner Christina Farrell confirmed that the city’s Emergency Operations Center is fully activated, with 50 city, state, and regional agencies coordinating response efforts. “We want all New Yorkers to stay safe during the dangerous blizzard conditions through tomorrow morning,” she said. “Please stay off the roads. Look out for your neighbors and friends, especially the elderly and those with disabilities.”

COMMENTS

We appreciate your feedback. If you have any additional information to contribute to this article, it will be added below.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Subscribe to
our email newsletter

Subscribe to our email newsletter

advertise package